When a critical incident occurs in the City of Brunswick, the Division of Police calls on a team of officers that have received specialized training and are specially equipped to deal with dangerous situations such as hostage situations, barricaded persons, high-risk warrant service, explosive devices, and heavily-armed criminals. This team is called SWAT for Special Weapons And Tactics. These officers are assigned to other police duties full-time, and respond as SWAT to emergency incidents when they occur.
The SWAT team is a partnership with many of the police departments in the southwest portion of Cuyahoga County, and is called the Southwest Enforcement Bureau (SEB). SEB consists of a tactical team, hostage negotiation team, sniper/scout team, and a bomb team. This pooling of resources allows the Brunswick Police to have a large amount of technical police knowledge and manpower to handle any critical police situation that occurs.
The Brunswick Division of Police also has a partnership with the Medina County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team, by providing one tactical officer and some specialized equipment to that team.
The following (barring any calls before the end of the year) is a summary of the activation’s for the West Region of SEB SWAT. In total, SEB West responded to 11 calls for service during the 2019 year:
- January 4, 2019 – Berea, Search and arrest warrant service
- January 28, 2019 – Berea, Search warrant service mutual aid for HIDTA
- February 28, 2019 – Berea, Search and arrest warrant service
- March 13, 2019 – Cleveland, Search warrant service mutual aid for DEA
- March 23, 2019 – Berea, Manpower search for missing juvenile
- April 16, 2019 – Strongsville, Domestic Violence barricaded male/handgun
- June 19, 2019 – Parma Heights, Manpower search for a suicidal female
- July 5, 2019 – Parma Heights, Search and arrest warrant service
- July 8, 2019 – Brooklyn, Barricaded/suicidal male/handgun
- September 26, 2019 – Middleburg Heights, Hostage situation turned barricade, male/handgun
- November 11, 2019 – Strongsville, Domestic Violence warrant service turned barricade, male/handgun