Most commonly asked questions

What are the regulations for an outside fire?
1611.05 Open burning; recreational fires; portable outdoor fireplaces

(a) General.  A person shall not kindle or maintain or authorize to be kindled or maintained any open burning unless conducted and approved in accordance with this section.

(b) Prohibited Open Burning.  Open burning that is offensive or objectionable because of smoke emissions or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous shall be prohibited.

(c) Permit Required.  A permit shall be obtained from the Fire Code Official in accordance with Rule 1301:7-7-01 of the Ohio Fire Code prior to kindling a fire for recognized silvicultural or range or wildlife management practices, prevention or control of disease or pests, or a bonfire.  Application for such approval shall only be presented by and permits issued to the owner of the land upon which the fire is to be kindled.

(d) Authorization.  Where required by state or local law or regulations, open burning shall only be permitted with prior approval from the state or local air and water quality management authority, provided that all conditions specified in the authorization are followed.

(e) Extinguishment Authority.  The Fire Code Official is authorized to order the extinguishment by the permit holder, another person responsible or the Fire Department of open burning that creates or adds to a hazardous or objectionable situation.

(f) Location.  The location for open burning shall not be less than 50 feet (15,240 mm) from any structure, and provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within 50 feet (15,240 mm) of any structure.

(g) Exceptions. 

      (1) Fires in approved containers that are not less than 15 feet (4572 mm) from a structure.

      (2) The minimum required distance from a structure shall be 25 feet (7620 mm) where the pile size is 3 feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610 mm) or less in height.

A. Bonfires.  A bonfire shall not be conducted within 50 feet (15,240 mm) of a structure or combustible material unless the fire is contained in a barbecue pit.  Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 50 feet (15,240 mm) of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.

B. Recreational fires.  Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet (7620 mm) of a structure or combustible material.  Conditions which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet (7620 mm) of  a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.

C. Portable outdoor fireplaces.  Portable outdoor fireplaces shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall not be operated within 15 feet (3048 mm) of a structure or combustible material.

Exception: Portable outdoor fireplaces used at one- and two-family dwellings.

(h) Attendance.  Open burning, bonfires, recreational fires and use of portable outdoor fireplaces shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.  A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher complying with paragraph (F)(906) of rule 1301:7-7-09 of the Administrative Code with a minimum 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire-extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.  (OAC 1301:7-7-03)

What is the curfew for someone under 18?
648.10 Curfew

(a) No person shall permit any minor under the age of eighteen to be on any street, sidewalk or other public place of the City between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. on weekdays and between 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m. on Sundays, unless such minor is accompanied by his parent, guardian or other adult person having the legal care, custody or control of such minor or is in the company of a responsible adult person eighteen years of age or older who has permission from such parent or guardian to have such minor out during such hours.

(b) It shall be the duty of any parent, guardian or other person having the care, control or custody of a minor under the age of eighteen to keep such minor off the streets, sidewalks or other public places of the City between the hours specified in subsection (a) hereof, unless such minor is accompanied by such parent, guardian or other responsible adult person eighteen years of age or older who has permission from such parent or guardian to accompany such minor.

(c) No responsible adult person eighteen years of age or older shall be in the company of any minor under the age of eighteen on any street, sidewalk or other public place during the hours specified in subsection (a) hereof unless such person has permission from such minor’s parent or guardian to be in the company of such minor during such hours.

(d) Whoever violates or fails to comply with any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.  Punishment shall be as provided in Section 698.02.

(e) Exceptions.  In the following exceptional cases, a minor in or upon a public place during the nocturnal hours for which this section is intended to provide the maximum limits of regulation shall not be considered in violation of this chapter:

      (1) When accompanied by a parent of such minor.

(2) When accompanied by an adult authorized by a parent of such minor to take the parent’s place in accompanying the minor for a designated period of time and purpose within a specified area.

(3) When exercising First Amendment rights protected by the United States constitution, such as the free exercise of religion and freedom of speech.

(4) In case of reasonable necessity after such minor’s parent has communicated to the Police Department personnel the facts establishing such reasonable necessity and designating the minor’s proposed location, route, purpose and the period of time the minor will be in or upon a public place.

(5) When returning home by a direct route from, and within thirty minutes of, the termination of verifiable employment or participation in an official school or religious activity. (Ord. 55-05. Passed 5-9-05.)

Where can I locate information on the noise ordinances?
634.04 Specific prohibitions

The following acts, and the causing or permitting thereof, are declared to be in violation of this chapter:

(a) Animals and Birds. Owning, possessing or harboring any animal or bird which frequently or for continued duration, howls, barks, meows,  squawks or makes other sounds which  create  a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary.

(b) Explosives, Firearms and Similar Devices. The using or firing of explosives, firearms or similar devices which create impulsive sound so as to cause a noise disturbance across a real property boundary or on a public space or right-of-way, without first obtaining a special variance, with the exception of public display.

(c) Vehicle or Motorboat Repairs and Testing. Repairing, rebuilding, modifying or testing any motor vehicle, motorcycle or motorboat in such a manner as to cause a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary.

(d) Adequate Mufflers or Sound Dissipative Devices.

(1) Operating or causing to be operated any motor vehicle or motorcycle not equipped with a muffler or other sound dissipative device in good working order and in constant operation.

(2) Removing or rendering inoperative, or causing to be removed or rendered inoperative, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair or replacement, any muffler or sound dissipative device on a motor Vehicle or motorcycle.

(3) The  discharge into the open air of the exhaust of any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine or motor boat, except through a muffler or other device in good working order and in constant operation.

(e} Motor Vehicles.

(1) Operating or permitting the operation of any motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in excess of 10,000 pounds, or any auxiliary equipment attached to such a vehicle, for a period longer than five minutes in any hour while the vehicle is stationary, for reasons other than traffic congestion, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following day.

(2) Racing the motor of any vehicle unnecessarily or operating any motor vehicle, except in an emergency in such a manner that the vehicle is so rapidly accelerated or started from a stopped position that the exhaust system emits aloud, cracking or chattering noise unusual to its normal operation, or whereby the tires of such vehicle squeal or leave tire marks on the pavement or other surface, commonly called “peeling”. (Ord. 36-94. Passed 3-14-94.)

(f) Loading and Unloading. Subject to Chapter 1060 of this Code, loading, unloading, opening, closing or other handling of boxes, crates, containers, building materials, garbage cans or similar objects, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. the following day, in such manner as to cause a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary is prohibited. (Ord. 140-04. Passed 11-8-04.)

(g) Construction. Operating or permitting the operation of any tools or equipment used in construction, drilling or demolition work:

(1) Between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., such that the sound therefrom creates a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary, except for emergency work of public service utilities or by special variance.

(2) This subsection (g) shall not apply to the use or domestic power tools subject to subsection (k) hereof.

(h) Emergency Signaling Devices.

(1) The intentional sounding or permitting the sounding outdoors of any fire, burglar or civil defense alarm, siren, whistle or similar stationary emergency signaling device, except for emergency purposes or for testing, as provided in subsections (h) (2) and (3) hereof.

(2) Testing of a privately owned stationary emergency signaling device shall occur at the same time of day each time such a test is performed, but not before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m. or the closing time of a commercial establishment, whichever shall occur later. Any such testing shall use only the minimum cycle test time. In no case shall such test time exceed sixty seconds.

(3) Testing of the complete privately owned emergency signaling system, including the functioning of the signaling device and the personnel response to the signaling device, shall not occur before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m. In no case shall such test time exceed ten minutes.

(4) Sounding or permitting the sounding of any exterior burglar or fire alarm or any motor vehicle burglar alarm, unless such alarm is automatically terminated within two minutes of activation, or within a reasonable time after notification of activation.

(5) The sounding of any horn or other auditory signaling device on or in any motor vehicle on any public right-of-way or public space, except as a warning of danger.

(i) Radios, Television Sets, Musical Instruments and Similar Devices. Operating, playing or permitting the operation or playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces or amplifies sound:

(1) Between the hours of 9:00 p.m. (Sunday – Thursday) and 8:00 a.m., the following day and midnight (Friday and Saturday) and 8:00 a.m., the following day in such a manner as to create a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary; or

(2) In such a manner as to create a noise disturbance at fifty feet (fifteen meters) from such device, when operated in or on a motor vehicle on a public right-of-way or public space.

(j) Loudspeakers and Public Address Systems. Using, operating or permitting the operation of any loudspeaker, public address system, mobile sound vehicle or similar device amplifying sound therefrom on a public right-of-way or public space for any purpose whatever.

(k) Domestic Power Tools. Operating or permitting the operation of any mechanically powered saw, drill, sander, grinder, lawn or garden tool, lawnmower or other similar device used outdoors, other than powered snow removal equipment, in residential areas between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. so as to cause a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary.

(1) Powered Model Vehicles.

(1) Operating or permitting the operation of powered model vehicles so as to create a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary or in a public space between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. the following day.

(2) During the permitted period of operation, maximum sound levels in a public space shall not exceed seventy-five dBa measured at a distance of fifty feet from any point on the path of the vehicle.

(3) During the permitted period of operation, maximum sound levels in a residential area shall not exceed sixty dBa measured at a distance of fifty feet from any point on the path of the vehicle.

(m) Vibration. Operating or permitting the operation of any device that creates a vibration which is above the vibration perception threshold of an individual at or beyond the property boundary of the source. For the purposes of this section, “vibration perception threshold” means the minimum ground or structure-borne vibration motion necessary to cause a normal person to be aware of the vibration by such direct means as, but not limited to, sensation by touch or visual observation of moving objects.(Ord. 36-94. Passed 3-14-94.)

My electricity is out. How can I contact First Energy/Ohio Edison?
To report an outage, call 1-888-544-4877 or use the website:
How can I contact Cleveland Water?
For non-emergencies, dial 216-664-3130 or use the website:

For water emergencies only, dial 216-664-3060, or 911 if there is a threat to life and/or property.

How can I contact Columbia Gas?
If you smell gas, or have some other emergency situation, go outside and call the Columbia Gas emergency number, 1-800-344-4077 and choose Option #2. Also dial 911 if there is a threat to life and/or property.

For non-emergency questions, contact 1-800-344-4077, or use their website:

How do I obtain a copy of my police report?
Once a report is approved for release, you can obtain a copy by going to our website here.

You can also fax us a request at 330-225-6002 or stop into the police department lobby in person to request a copy.

Please be specific when requesting information and reference report numbers where possible so we can make sure you get the information you need.

How much is my citation?
You can find out how much your citation is here.
How do I obtain a copy of my driving record?

The police department is not able to provide this information to you. Please contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles or visit their website at

Can I park my vehicle on the street overnight?
You may not park a vehicle on City streets between the hours of 2 am and 5 am.

Some other parking laws you should be aware of are:

452.03 PARKING GENERALLY: No person shall stand or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with the provisions of this Traffic Code, or while obeying the directions of a police officer or a traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(a) On a sidewalk, curb or street lawn area, except a bicycle;

(b) In front of a public or private driveway;

(c) Within an intersection;

(d) Within ten feet of a fire hydrant;

(e) On a crosswalk;

(f) Within twenty feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;

(g) Within thirty feet of, and upon the approach to, any flashing beacon, stop sign or traffic control device;

(h) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the end of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by a traffic control device;

(i) Within fifty feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;

(j) Within twenty feet of a driveway entrance to any fire station and, on the side of the street opposite the entrance to any fire station, within seventy-five feet of the entrance when it is properly posted with signs;

(k) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such standing or parking would obstruct traffic;

(l) Alongside any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(m) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a street, or within a street tunnel;

(n) At any place where signs prohibit stopping, standing or parking, or where the curbing or street is painted yellow, or at any place in excess of the maximum time limited by signs;

(o) Within one foot of another parked vehicle;

(p) On the roadway portion of a freeway, expressway or thruway. (ORC 4511.68)

(q) On any part, or on the berm or shoulder of State Route 303; U.S. Route 42; Grafton Road; Laurel Road; Sleepy Hollow Road; Hadcock Road; Carpenter Road; Boston Road; West 130th Street Substation Road and Maxwell Boulevard. (Ord. 110-89. Passed 10-23-89; Ord. 172-04. Passed 2-28-05.)

(r) On the side of the street where fire hydrants have been constructed, except within the circular area at the end of a cul-de-sac or as otherwise permitted by the City Manager/Safety Director and upon such conditions as may be required by the City Manager/Safety Director.